Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The making of a tiara








A couple of months back I was invited by Phoenix Gallery in Lawrence,Kansas to participate in a challenge to create accessories for a vintage gown. I always love a challenge like this and immediately accepted. I was given a photo of this cute 1950's party dress to design for and my first thought upon seeing it was rockabilly queen!

I knew that I would want to do a double bird necklace but had originally pictured it more like the Citybird necklaces that I've done in the past using the street signs. Im glad in the end that I went with sterling and brass, it really looked nice with the burnt orange dress color. The tiara was a definite challenge for me, I've never done a piece that large but Im planning on doing more headpieces for sure!

No comments: